The Gull Reef Club

1/4/2008

Death Pool 2008

Filed under: — Jaime @ 10:14 pm

Greetings beachcombers. Greetings 2008. So long stinkyear!

Your amicable Innkeeper is host to the 2008 Death Pool here at the Gull Reef Club. You’re invited to play. Sorry I’m a bit late to start, but I am a southerner-by-choice and claim the right to take my time.

The rules are simple. Submit to me, either as a comment to this post or by email to thegullreefclubATgmail.com, 10 names of celebrities/well-known people that you think will die in 2008. The people on your list cannot currently be hospitalized, nor can they be on death row. If the person on your list can’t easily be found by a wikipedia, google, or encarta search, then that person is not famous enough to be valid.

The deadline to submit your list to me is Thursday January 10th, 2008, 9pm eastern Monday, January 14, 2008, 10pm eastern. Once I have all the entries, I will put them together in one post for everyone to read. I will post updates throughout the year as they become necessary.

The winner gets the adoration of me, the official title of Angel of Death for 2008, and maybe something else to be determined. Full disclosure: I am also playing. It’s sort of hard to rig this sort of thing.

Merry morbidity!

Addendum to rules: You can’t pick someone has already died in 2008.

17 Responses to “Death Pool 2008”

1. nemov says:

Do you extra points for younger people?

1) Britteny Spears
    2) Michael Jackson
    3) Pervez Musharraf
    4) Fidel Castro
    5) Elizabeth Taylor
    6) Loretta Lynn
    7) Robert Byrd
    8) Jesse Helms
    9) Charlton Heston
    10) Margaret Thatcher

2. Julian says:

I’m going to be lazy and use the same people from last year (the ones that didn’t die). After all, they’re all a year closer to the grave, right?

Amy Winehouse
    Kirk Douglas
    The Duke of Edinburgh
    Clint Eastwood
    Nelson Mandela
    President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan
    Sir David Attenborough
    Lord Richard Attenborough
    Dominic Chianese
    Eli Wallach

3. Jaime says:

Here are mine for this year:

1. Olivia de Havilland
    2. Dom DeLuise
    3. Art Linkletter
    4. Dick Martin
    5. Ricardo Montalbán
    6. Harry Morgan
    7. Stan Musial
    8. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    9. Suharto
    10. Esther Williams

I don’t give points this year for young people but I’ll try to figure out how to do that for next year. It could add a nice element to the game.

If you haven’t gotten your picks in yet, I found this site to be quite helpful: whosaliveandwhosdead.

4. Jaime says:

These are Eeyore’s picks:

1. Fidel Castro
    2. Nelson Mandela
    3. Queen Elizabeth
    4. Kirk Douglas
    5. Ariel Sharon
    6. Dick Clark
    7. John Wooden
    8. Abe Vigoda
    9. Studs Terkel
    10. Mickey Rooney

5. Wertz says:

I kept a few survivors from last year, but made a couple of substitutions:

1. Ray Bradbury
    2. Walter Cronkite
    3. Betty Ford
    4. Claude Levi-Strauss
    5. Robert McNamara
    6. Karl Malden
    7. Pervez Musharraf
    8. Helmut Schmidt
    9. Paul Scofield
    10. Margaret Thatcher

6. Gina says:

So many good ones were already taken, but here are my pics…

1. Frankie Valli
    2. Chuck Berry
    3. Tony Bennett
    4. Barbara Feldon
    5. Al Molinaro
    6. Bea Arthur
    7. Arthur C. Clarke
    8. Keith Richards
    9. Courtney Love
    10.Monty Hall

7. Jaime says:

I knew I could count on you to play, Gina! Good picks, but I hope you’re wrong. I don’t think we could stand losing Monty Hall and Tony Bennett in the same year. We’d have a cheeze void.

8. Gina says:

Sorry, I gotta go with the odds! I have been contemplating my picks for some time now, but I figured I better get them posted before any more were taken. Seriously, did you really think Al Delvecchio would still be alive and kicking? I surprised myself with that one…

9. Cyan says:

I’ll play.

1. Charlton Heston
    2. Fidel Castro
    3. Arthur C. Clarke
    4. Ariel Sharon
    5. Pervez Musharraf
    6. Zsa Zsa Gabor
    7. Claude Levi-Strauss
    8. Andy Griffith
    9. Jerry Lewis
    10. Amy Winehouse

I’ll be sad if Ray Bradbury dies. :(

10. Jaime says:

Thanks for playing Cyan. I contemplated putting Winehouse on my list too, but now I’m thinking either her husband or Britney Spears are more likely to go this year over Winehouse, as the ‘young’ death. Winehouse needs more time to ferment and will go in her like 40s Elvis and Billie Holiday.

11. BaphometsAdvocate says:

1. Bob Hope
    2. Maurice (Rocket) Richard
    3. Charles Schulz
    4. Tom Landry
    5. Jim Varney
    6. Doug Henning
    7. Sir Alec Guinness
    8. Victor Borge
    9. Dana Plato
    10. Stanley Kubrick

12. Jaime says:

Hilarious, BA.

13. BaphometsAdvocate says:

So I totally win. No one on my list is going to come back to life.

14. nighttimer says:

I would have added Fred Thompson to BA’s list but I’ll try to be apolitical.

1. Sid Ceasar
    2. Charlton Heston
    3. Ariel Sharon
    4. Fidel Castro
    5. Keith Richards
    6. Louis Farrakhan
    7. Kirk Douglas
    8. Jerry Lewis
    9. Dick Clark
    10. Pervez Musharraf

15. Mike says:

OK, here’s the list for this year:

Albert Hoffman
    Art Linkletter
    Betty Ford
    BB King
    Billy Graham
    Britney Spears
    Margaret Thatcher
    Nancy Reagan
    Robert Byrd
    Zsa Zsa Gabor

Last year I had two correct– Ladybird Johnson and Luciano Pavarotti. I was incorrect on these people, all of whom are on my list again this year: Billy Graham, Nancy Reagan, Albert Hoffman, Margaret Thatcher, and Betty Ford. I’ve decided that Nelson Mandela gets another year, as does Queen Elizabeth II. Paris Hilton has been replaced by Britney Spears as this year’s pick for crazy-celebrity-most-likely-to-off-themself.

Good luck all (well, except for the people I picked)!

Mike

16. Julian says:

Probably about time we declared some results, no?

In reverse order:

In tenth & last place, BaphometsAdvocate, who cheated by only naming people who were already dead at the time of writing.

In ninth place, me, with only one correct answer (Amy Winehouse).

In joint seventh place, Nighttimer and Gina, with two apiece (Charlton Heston & Dick Clark for NT; Bea Arthur &Arthur C. Clarke for Gina)

In sixth place, with 3 correct, Eeyore (Dick Clark, John Wooden & Studs Terkel)

In fifth place, with 4 correct, Mike (Albert Hoffman, Art Linkletter, Betty Ford & Robert Byrd)

In joint third place, with 5 correct, Cyan (Charlton Heston, Arthur C. Clarke, Claude Levi-Strauss, Andy Griffith, & Amy Winehouse) and Nemov (Michael Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor, Robert Bird, Jesse Helms, & Charlton Heston)

And in joint first place, with seven nominated victims of the Grim Reaper, it’s Jaime (Dom DeLuise, Art Linkletter, Dick Martin, Ricardo Montalb├ín, Harry Morgan, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, and Suharto) and the late, lamented Wertz (Ray Bradbury, Walter Cronkite, Betty Ford, Claude Levi-Strauss, Robert McNamara, Karl Malden, and Paul Scofield)

Wertz, of course, managed to play a left-field wildcard by dying himself since playing, which I reckon gives him the contest posthumously. (Don’t shoot me, it’s the kind of gallows humour he enjoyed form time to time…)

17. Jaime says:

Thanks for the hard work that I never got around. So shall we have a death pool 2013? Sounds like it could be a lucky year!