The Gull Reef Club

2/17/2005

Expatriation

Filed under: — Jaime @ 4:09 pm

Have any of you considered leaving the U.S. to live in another country, either seeking new citizenship or just temporarily? Have you ever acted on such considerations?

I would appreciate it if you would share your thoughts and experiences with me. Thanks. :)

Down to the Banana Republics
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated Americans
Hopin’ to find some fun

6 Responses to “Expatriation”

1. Cyan says:

Are you planning on skipping out to the islands?

2. Jaime says:

Are you planning on skipping out to the islands?
    Always.

3. Wertz says:

Well, you know Sean and I have – and are considering it again. I’m getting too old for this shit (heh, both the moving and the insanity of the current administration).

The main advantage we had in moving to Ireland was that Sean had dual citizenship, which meant he was able to seek work right away. I got lucky. One of the first things I started doing was conducting acting workshops – and one of the first places to host them formally was the Dublin library system, who were collecting fees and giving me a cut. To do so, they had to issue me a tax number (the equivalent of a Social Security number) and I was able to use that to seek future work, semi-legally. I eventually established formal residency (I think it was after five years of informal residency), which made the work situation fully legal. Unless one is self-employed or independently wealthy, I would think that the work permit situation is the biggest obstacle to easily expatriating.

I don’t think I would ever give my US citizenship (in spite of everything, I keep hoping that this country will get its act together – maybe even in my lifetime), but I’d have no hesitation in leaving.

Were there any specific things you were curious about?

4. Jaime says:

Well it’s been a long time joke between Mike and I that we will eventually keep moving south until we live near the equator. Of course, we’ve moved no further south primarily due to jobs and all the other issues that come with leaving your country.

The recent stirrings, however, come from me joking to my boss about a month ago that if he ever wanted to open a satellite office in one of the U.S. territories in the Caribbean, to let me know because I’d head out there and run the place for him. He is enamored with the islands and tries to go there at least once a year. After his most recent trip there he declared he was going to take a month down there next year and make that into a tradition. Which is when I chimed in with my comment.

Well he brought it up this week without my prompting. He made an off hand reference to having on office in the USVI. Of course, I reminded him that I would be willing to go out there and start it up. He almost looked serious when he replied, ‘That’s good to know.’

As far as leaving the U.S. for good I know I always have to leave that option open as a ‘just in case’. If it came down to it (whatever ‘it’ may be) I’m not sure I’d stay and fight.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, Wertz. Thanks. :)

5. Mike says:

Have you ever dreamed of escaping from your dull existence to a new life on a
    tropical island? Our story is about a man who did it – a real person, whose true
    adventure has become a legend here in the Caribbean. Welcome one and all to the legend of norman paperman.

Sing it with me….

This is the legend of Norman Paperman,
    Tale from the islands we’ll share.
    Chasing illusions can get quite confusing,
    Is it a dream or a nightmare?

6. Steven says:

I to have had similar considerations to go outside our USA,even though I have experienced being outside the U.S. while in the military, for extended periods of time, I am very sure it would be very different.
    Would it be a chance to recover my base person? Would it be a chance to just live out the sum total of my years?( being 53 yrs in age) An opportunity for growth? or a disaster…I do not know but often times I consider it. I come from a time when Canada was the “Great Escape”(and of course I did not). Now I am free to roam the country side. I am told some beliefs say where ever you are is Home, I have practiced this at times and it certainly helps. Personally I don’t seriously consider giving up my citizenship, even though…. having served in the military would indicate no considerations of this nature could I actually entertain for long, however it is because of the same at times I do. and Yes I might. Afterall we are all humanbeings in species and natures, and there is a whole big world out there. Some consider global consiousness a god thing, and best always if lived globally. Many things about this earth worth knowing and participating in, it has been said if we all spoke the same languages there could be no holding back our progress. Sometimes I consider if the same would be true of computer languages.
    At any rate thanks for this opportunity to share.